Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Proactive is one of my least favorite (non) words.

I was listening to All Things Considered on May 7th when I heard who I believe was Federal Reserve spokeswoman, Michelle Smith say, "With these stress tests, we want to act proactive reactively."
OK, I don't even like the pseudo-word "proactive" because it's almost always used to mean the exact same thing as "active" which is already a word. However this chowderhead takes it to an absurd extreme. If one were to believe her statement, she must mean that she wants to act proactive (whatever that means) as opposed to be proactive (which wouldn't be redundant), but then she wants to do this reactively. I'm guessing that means she's going to wait until something's happened so that she can react to it. What would her reaction to this something be? To act proactive of course! Brilliant, while we're all waiting to find out what the Fed's doing with the next few trillion dollars, she's going to wait for something to happen & then respond to it by appearing to have already done something in response. I don't think doubletalk quite covers it; this is at minimum tripletalk.

1 comment: